Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Marine Department Adventures

The Bridge 
The bridge of a ship is the room or platform from which the ship can be commanded. It is basically the control room. Located really high up, offering unobstructed view forward and to the sides. The bridge is my favorite room or area on the ship. It kinda reminds me of how like a space station or something would look like. Its all really high tech, huge touch screens, and a blue computer glow since I work nights. It was so cool to see everything this room is in control of. The guys are so nice and don't mind explaining how stuff works.

Lesson Learned
I don't know why it was so hard for me to grasp the concept of port and starboard. I think its because the ship is sooooooooo big its easy to get turned around and not know which was is front or back. 
So basically, port is left and is red and starboard is right and green. (when I was told this I initially thought that the ship was painted red on one side and green on the other. I felt like an idiot when I said it out loud. Its just referring to the lights. Like what another ship sees. Its really fun learning all of this. I love ships and boats, preferably a cruise ships and boats that are taking me tubing on the lake but drill ships are cool too! 



Down Below
Ok so I will try to paint a picture for you, the ship that you see above water is nothing compared to how huge it is underwater. I was given a tour by two gentlemen and got to see the ship down below. At first it was a little scary being that low on the ship. I felt like we were going down stairs forever! I cant explain how big it is ! ITS HUGE like, a huge open space, in areas and its like how is this all under water and a rig on top and we are floating? It doesn't seem like it makes sense, Ill have to ask questions about that tomorrow. 


So my late night adventures were really awesome, and I learned a lot about the ship I'm on.  Also since I am in my unit and looking at computer monitors all day, I got called Janie Pencil Pusher! Well I just thought about when I was a sample catcher for my first hitch and covered in oil based  toxic mud  and then had a rash all over my body, Ill take janie pencil pusher over oil mud molly any day ;)! 

It helps pass the time when I am learning. I love just absorbing all that there is to learn. Especially about stuff you don't know. 
Anyways until next time! 

3 comments:

  1. That sounds really cool learning about everything! We actually did these problems in fluids talking about how huge things like that still float! It's so weird.
    Even dad's little boat has red and green lights on it! lol

    Glad it's going better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so interesting! I'm glad you have this blog so we can understand more about what you are doing out there! I enjoy reading about all this Take care Hill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would like being in the bridge too sounds really amazing
    Not sure if I would like going way down under in the ship though

    ReplyDelete