Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Day as a Recruiter !

Career Fair 

Last night I drove to College Station, Texas from Dallas. It was a three hour drive, the last hour of the drive resembled something out of a horror film. It was just a really creepy small town vibe going on. Imagine seeing lots of abandoned small houses facing the country road with creepy little churches and abandoned gas stations. It seems like everything has 100 year old white paint mixed with rust. Its the type of town you really don't want to take a pit stop in. 

I arrive at college station, its finally a big bright city, relatively speaking. Its not like driving over the hoover damn and seeing the vegas lights or anything, but seeing a couple restaurants and a stop light was nice. I felt like I had found civilization. 

I stayed at the Hilton conference center, it was an awesome hotel. I stayed on the Hilton Honors level, with other business people. My suite had spa features and a beautiful study area. 

The next morning I drive to Texas A&M. The campus is massive! They have a student population of 50,000, whereas SMU has about 6,000.  I park, then walk to Reed Arena, and see a line around the stadium of students dressed in business suits ready to enjoy the career fair. I was carrying my schlumberger coveralls (the uniform I am going to wear while recruiting). Then I try to make my way past all of the students, because I have to get set up. A couple guys tried to not let me pass, I think they thought I was a student trying to cut in line, I just thought in the back of my head hope they see me inside for a mini interview, after they shoulder nudged me out of the way. 

Inside there are over 300 stands of different companies hiring engineers. It was so amazing to see all of these companies here to scope out the future talent. I run to the bathroom and change into my bright blue coveralls. At first I didn't want to wear them, because everyone else was dressed in business attire. 
These are what coveralls look like! After I put them on I was treated like royalty. Everyone made way for me, like moses spreading the water. It was great! I get to my table, and am briefed on what to ask the students. I give mini interviews, asking their major, gpa, graduation date, then I get a feel for them. The lead recruiter said she trusts my judgement and I write Yes or No on their resume, and rank them from like 1-10. This is crazy! It wasn't to long ago that I was in their position. I felt like It was so hard to write a No on a resume. Well after speaking with at least 100 people and putting my heart in every mini interview. I did have some No's :/ I still feel bad, but I mean we are an awesome company we can't just take any schmuck off the street, yah know?! 

The recruiting is finished and I had a great time, the talent at Texas A&M was amazing these Engineer students are hard workers. I ask the lead recruiter if theres anything she needs help with before I leave, she says, "yeah can you please just help me sort all of these resumes.... any that are not graded a 10 and a Yes throw away!" My mouth dropped we had 10 recruiters, at least 1,000 applicants and only like 50 were ranked with 10's. I was like flabbergasted that all that hard work and talking to all of those people only a small percentage even get an interview! And once they have an interview, they still might not get the job. 

After this day of recruiting it was a reality check, that I work for a very competitive company and need to appreciate it every day! 

I know this blog is so long but here are some cool facts and FAQs 



Schlumberger ranks 26 in the world of worlds most attractive employers! 



FAQ's about Schlumberger 



Schlumberger and its position in the industry

What does Schlumberger do?

Schlumberger is the world’s largest oilfield services company. Working globally—often in remote and challenging locations—we invent, design, engineer, and apply technology to help our customers find and produce oil and gas safely and efficiently.

Where does Schlumberger operate?

We employ over 118,000 people of more than 140 nationalities working in approximately 85 countries. Schlumberger does not have a 'nationality' which describes its culture, but operates in a truly global fashion throughout the world.

We are often told that oil is running out. Why should I join an ageing industry?

Far from joining a dying industry, technology is ensuring that hydrocarbon resources will be extended, that the amounts recovered will increase and the challenges the technology represents will remain as exciting as ever.

Where does Schlumberger fit in to the oil and gas industry?

The oil and gas industry covers three main sections—upstream, midstream and downstream. We operate in the upstream section, which covers activity from the subsurface to the wellhead.

Is Schlumberger committed to equal opportunities?

One of our greatest strengths is the diversity of our workforce, with men and women of many nationalities and backgrounds working together and sharing common objectives. As a company, we encourage fair employment practices worldwide and offer equal opportunities to all our employees. We also try to take family considerations into account in any decisions about personnel matters or assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment