Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I am officially in the Middle of the Gulf of Mexico!


I made it ....

Through the window of the helicopter I see a massive Oil Derrick on top of the ship. I also see a very small helipad, that luckily appears larger as we get closer to it. I am now on the Drill Ship, finally. Except I am not feeling at ease. There is a lot to take in. It seems like everyone knows where to go and what to do. I just have to ask for help constantly. On top of the overwhelming first day experience it is a really rough day at sea. The waves are crashing against the side of the boat and It feels like I am drunk because of the heave. 

We arrive at 11:30am. My back to back is going to be working the day shift. 12:00pm- 12:00am whereas I will be working the night shift. He shows me quickly how to do my job, and actually makes me try it. He then sends me back to the living quarters because I need to find a way to go to bed so I’m not miserable for my shift. I look at him, wanting/ expecting him to walk me back to safety (the living quarters).  He tells me the directions and says walk with attitude so nobody thinks your nervous. 

The walk back from where I will be working to where I will be sleeping, seemed like forever. I would say probably two football fields worth of slippery steep stairs and creepy doors that you have to turn a wheel to open, they remind me of a military ship in the movies. I am having trouble figuring out where I am in relation to everything, I did not get a guide book or a pocket map. 

Communication seems tricky, my wifi in my room does not work. However, during off time I can make 15 minute calls to whomever. I hear though that the unit has internet so hopefully I will be able to get on. 

I love you all and miss you very much! 

3 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like a lot to take in on the first day . Things will get better I wish I was there to make you some potato soup I love you Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hill hope you get the hang of it! you should try to put an RSS button so we can subscribe to this.!

    ReplyDelete