Friday, October 4, 2013

Life in the North Atlantic

I arrived aboard the Stena Carron Drill Ship Wednesday October 2nd. Upon arrival I received an in depth briefing of the ship. It is huge. The ship has like 11 levels and is just MASSIVE. The galley looks more like a restaurant than a cafeteria. The lounges and gyms are AWESOME. The amenities are great on the ship but its hard when you don't know ANYONE. I was very tired and went straight to bed my first night.
This is what it looks like outside IM SOOOO SERIOUS! The sea here just looks mean and unforgiving. 


The first two days I didn't really talk to anyone. It kind of seemed like when I walked into a room the party was over and everyone went back to work. Like I think being a girl is just so much harder out here. I am such a people person I need to be talking to people and making friends or I will go crazy. Every time I go into the break room people just leave. I was thinking the scottish guys hated me or something. I told my self maybe I should go in and tell a sexist, racist inappropriate joke to break the ice.

The Canadian wellsite geologist is really nice to me and has a really laid back personality. He sits with me at lunch and tells me all his travel story's so its nice to know someone and have conversation.

Today we had to move 46, 30 lb buckets of samples up HUGE flights of stairs across the rig. Thank god the other guys I work with stayed after their 12 hour shift to help. Great teamwork out here. I really like them. I was literally dying. I seriously didn't think I was going to make it. The boats rocking back and forth its raining and cold. IM EXHAUSTED!!!!!! Then out of nowhere this Scottish guy comes and he starts carrying like 2 buckets of samples at a time! He's like so strong and helping me. I WAS LIKE YESSSSSS MY HERO! Then his scottish friends start helping because he is. Then they all are being nice to me! So the Scottish guys don't hate me! Well now I have to take all the buckets and wrap them and ship them. I have a long night ahead of me. Love and miss you all.

Hillary

1 comment:

  1. Wow Hillary that picture of the sea is very intimidating! I'm glad you are on a much bigger ship. It makes it seem a little safer. But heck I had no idea the sea was that rough.! Gosh sounds like they have you doing some pretty heavy work hauling heavy buckets up stairs I hope things get better soon. Its always an adjustment when you are new to an environment. And this is certainly different from most ordinary life Take care and be safe Love and miss you Mom

    ReplyDelete