Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Prepare to Go Offshore



Blinking on my computer ......1 New Message

Subject: Prepare to Go Offshore 

Thats a pretty straight forward email. I need to prepare four weeks worth of clothing, toiletries, and any other random items. I will have a car pick me up at my house, drive me to Houston Intercontinental then fly me to New Orleans where I will sleep for the night. I then will be helicoptered 2 hours off shore in to the deep ocean.

My first "Hitch" (the term used for I guess one 4 week session of working offshore) will be on the DiscoverAmericas Drill ship. I hear that drill ships are the best to be on, vs land rigs or semi-submersible. I also hear that this particular drill ship is the nicest. The only problem is, the only ship I have to compare it with is the Carnival Imagination Cruise Ship. I'm pretty sure the drill ship wont have any entertainment.

I still do not know the exact day I will be departing. The oil industry seems to have a hurry up and wait attitude. However, after being a flight attendant I think adapting to that mentality will be a piece of cake.

More to come once I actually get to the rig!





No comments:

Post a Comment